A Place to Call Home
WJS Canada delivers programming across three provinces; providing housing and trauma-based guidance for children and youth. We go far beyond offering a place to stay to create an environment that heals, empowers and enables. Our programs and services focus on understanding the past, embracing the present and looking forward to the future. We strive to make each child in our care feel special and capable of things currently beyond their imagination. At the same time, we inspire them to engage as part of a community of goal-oriented individuals with extraordinary and unique potential.
Healing Starts at Home
Within a welcoming and reassuring home environment, WJS offers specific and highly individualized programs that address a wide range of personal challenges and concerns.
- Short term stabilization provides transition to long term housing, behavioural assessment, emergency safe houses, mental health stabilization, suicide prevention and intervention including 24/7 awake staffing, specialized treatment coordination and prevention of homelessness.
- Transitional housing is offered for youth transitioning into adulthood, with programs including development of short and long term transition plans, life skills and independent living supports, accessing safe and affordable housing, development of healthy and functional relationships with friends, landlords and community members.
- Employment counselling including job readiness, resume development, job search assistance and skill development.
- Addictions Support with one to one counselling, supported recovery, short term housing and monitoring, goal development, preparation for independence,and residential treatment and withdrawal management collaboration.
- Independent living aftercare and post services for sustainable living include outreach services and crisis management, family reunification, community connections, accessing community services, development of youth agreements.
- Intensive family supports including family mediation targeting family reunification and preservation.
- Therapeutic Care including healing circle, mental health supports, assisted self-referrals and after care.
- Long term housing offers 24/7 staffing, emergency supports, specialized residential resources, safe houses, child protection, risk assessment and investigations.
- Individualized programing is offered in the form of housing supports and outreach.
Program components focus on monitoring, goal development and preparation for independence provided by appropriately educated, highly trained, creative and passionate staff and caregivers. WJS staff and caregivers are passionately aware of the needs of our clients and sensitive to cultural and spiritual supports. We apply trauma informed practices, collaborative problem solving, and multi systemic therapies.
All programs connect to extensive resources within the community to ensure that individual needs are met as fully and sustainably as possible.